Saturday marks the biggest fight since boxing returned in June from the COVID-19 pandemic as Vasiliy Lomachenko, arguably the top pound-for-pound fighter in the sport, meets IBF titlist Teofimo Lopez at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
There’s no love lost between the 32-year-old Lomachenko and the 23-year-old Lopez. The rivalry hit a fever pitch at Friday’s weigh-in when Lomachenko went under the rope designated to maintain social distancing and went nose-to-nose with Lopez. The native of Brooklyn was talking trash to the Ukranian, who just smiled up and down at his younger foe.
Lomachenko will enter the ring for the first time since going to England and defeating Luke Campbell via unanimous decision in August 2019. Lopez also steps through the ropes for the first time this year after the longest layoff of his professional career. He won the IBF belt with a spectacular second-round TKO win over Richard Commey in December.
Lopez vows to finish Lomachenko while “Loma” promises to win the fight and move on to bigger bouts in the future.
Whose words will ring true?
Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez live results, updates
(All times Eastern.)
10:12 p.m.: The opening bout of the Lomachenko vs. Lopez main begins with Edgar Berlanga facing Lanell Bellows in super middleweight action. Berlanga is one of the most exciting young fighters in the sport as he’s undefeated in 14 fights with all of them coming via first-round knockout. Bellows (20-5-3, 13 KOs) comes in with back-to-back knockout victories.
Don’t go to the bathroom. Stay on the couch. It shouldn’t last long.
10:00 p.m.: Welcome to Sporting News’ live coverage of the lightweight title unification clash between WBA (super), WBO champion Vasiliy Lomachenko and IBF titlist Teofimo Lopez. This is the biggest fight to date since boxing returned in June from the COVID-19 global pandemic. Sit back, relax, and grab the refreshments while you can as this is going to be a night to remember.
Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez undercard results
- Josue Vargas def. Kendo Castaneda via unanimous decision (100-89, 99-90, 98-91)
- Jose Enrique Durantes Vivas def. John Vincent Moralde by knockout at 1:08 of the first round
- Quinton Randall def. Jan Carlos Rivera via unanimous decision (59-55, 58-56, 58-56)
- Jahi Tucker def. Charles Garner by unanimous decision (40-36, 40-36, 40-36)
When is the Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez fight?
- Undercard: 7:30 p.m. ET
- Main card: 10 p.m. ET
Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 17. The main card begins at 10 p.m. ET.
Vasiliy Lomachenko record and bio
- Nationality: Ukrainian
- Born: February 17, 1988
- Height: 5-7
- Reach: 65 inches
- Total fights: 15
- Record: 14-1 with 10 knockouts
Teofimo Lopez record and bio
- Nationality: American
- Born: July 30, 1997
- Height: 5-8
- Reach: 68.5 inches
- Total fights: 15
- Record: 15-0 with 12 knockouts
Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez fight card
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez for Lomachenko’s WBO and WBA Lightweight titles and Lopez’s IBF Lightweight title
- Arnold Barboza Jr. vs. Alex Saucedo; Junior Welterweight
- Edgar Berlanga vs. Lanell Bellows; Super Middleweights
- Josue Vargas vs. Kendo Castaneda; Junior Welterweight
- Jose Enrique Durantes Vivas vs. John Vincent Moralde; Featherweight
- Quatavious Cash vs. Quincy LaVallais; Middleweight
- Quinton Randall vs. Jan Carlos Rivera; Welterweight
- Jahi Tucker vs. Charles Garner; Welterweight